Monday 14 March 2011

Why Being Cool is For Losers

Now, I realise that at the rate I'm posting, I could be classed as a "blogging maniac", but that's okay. Truthfully, I feel a little like one. I also feel like eating chocmint icecream, but that has nothing to do with this post.
I'm pretty open about the fact that I hate society, and a good portion of humanity, but I'm often able to resist going on long rants about them. Right now is not one of those times.
I've changed my mind; it's going to be short and sweet, because I'm tired and want to go to bed.
Okay, to my point. It has come to my attention lately that most teenage friendships these days are incedicly fickle. I am sick of having my Facebook news feed clogged up with silly 13-year-olds professing their undying love for one another, and how they feel like, though biology suggests differently, they are actually family.
Here's the thing: If they were in fact, as comfortable in their relationships as they say, they would not need to constantly reassure eachother of how much they cared. I have such a strong friendshippy-love for my group of buds, but you don't see me bombarding people's internet pages with compliments and reassurances. This is because they know that I care about them. Sticking with people through thick and thin strengthens a relationship more than "iluvyuhh foreva babeee xx" ever has or will.
Also, I'm noticing a pattern of sucking-up going on. You don't see these teenagers, who claim to love others for who they are as people, posting about how much they love someone, if this person does not fit into the set societal model. Why? Because they're not 'cool', and if anyone is seen associating with these 'uncool' people in a friendly way, they too are classed as being 'uncool'. Which, may I add, I completely ridiculous.
I've never really had an authentic friendship with someone who was considered to be popular. Why? Because, well, they're so hard to actually have a true relationship with, because they're too caught up in the status quo to be completely true to themselves.
If there is something I pride myself on, it's that I am always true to myself. I will not change, or remodel myself for anyone, ever. Unless, of course, I've found some terrible flaw in myself that I believe needs rectifying. Yes, this has caused me to be severely bullied at times, and yes, this has often made it hard for me to make friends with people. But, at the end of the day, I can go to sleep knowing who I am, and that is a blessing.
So, to sum up my point. People who think they are 'cool' because they make fickle friendships, and feel the need to constantly post about them, are sad. It actually does sadden me to think that people feel that desperate to fit in, that they would compromise themselves. But, I'm veering off track.
If you make real friendships, and look out for people, caring about who they are, and genuinely taking an interest in their wellbeing, then, you have achieved something more precious and wonderful than any amount of popularity.
May the demisemiquavers of life lead you to good friendship, but, for tonight, adios amigos!

1 comment:

  1. "Because, well, they're so hard to actually have a true relationship with, because they're too caught up in the status quo to be completely true to themselves."

    I can vouch for that being true. It's not cool. At all. The amount of people that ditched me in year 8... =/

    Am loving your blog posts, bro ;)

    ReplyDelete