Wednesday 30 March 2011

That Doesn't Soften The Ache We Feel When Reality Sets Back In...

*yawn* I am so tired today. I can't believe it. I actually slept in til 8:40am this morning, which is quite a while for me. An hour and a half later, and I'm still half asleep. I'm trying to research Post colonialism, so I can start my English Extension assignment today, but I have a feeling that it's just not going to happen. I mean, yeah, I'll do some research, but I'm not going to start the assignment. Even if I were to, ridiculous word dribble would just come out. And we don't want that.

Wake up, [demisemiquavergirl]! I wasn't even half this tired yesterday, and I got up at 5am. Ah yesterday. Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away. Now it looks as though they're here to stay... Yesterday was a great day. I didn't think it would be. I thought it would be a good day, but I was prepared to be very disappointed.

Let's start at the very beginning; a very good place to start. Yesterday, I woke up bright and early and caught the early bus to the city, with my Dad. He went off to work, and I went off to the cultural centre, where I sat and waited, all alone for half an hour. That was awkward, because the place was pretty much empty because it was so early in the morning, and the people who did walk past just gave me really strange looks. Anyways, I ended up meeting up with [TenutoTuo]. We chatted, and walked in the pouring rain, and chilled at the State Library. Then [ClearlyUnfocused] turned up, and we pretty much did the same thing. Actually, we ended up shopping in the city, which is pretty fun. I can't believe I managed to walk out of Typo without buying anything. It took such self-restraint. Eating sushi was good. Mmmmm. Sushiiiiiii.

Anyhow, we've all established that I am obsessed with Wicked, right? Well, truth is, we had all turned up in the city in the hope that we'd win front row tickets to the show. 2.5 hours before each performance, you can write down your name and details on a lottery slip, and it gets put in a ballot box. If your name gets called out, then you can buy up to 2 front row (well, some are second row, and sight restricted) seats for $35. Ever since I saw the show, just over a year ago, I have wanted to enter the lotto. Despite the fact that Wicked has been in my city since the beginning of January, I just haven't gone. It's not that I haven't wanted to, I just haven't had the chance. Until yesterday. I wasn't very confidant about winning lotto. I'd heard that over 300 people had turned up the night before, and, there's only about 20 seats available, so the odds didn't look too good. I don't know if it was because it was pouring down rain, or because no-one felt like going out on a Wednesday afternoon, but only 40 or so people turned up to lotto yesterday. Even then, I really doubted that any of my friends or I would win. But, oh, I wanted to win so badly.

... and I did! I can't believe I didn't pass out with excitement when my name was the first one chosen in the ballot. I almost doubled over when [ClearlyUnfocused]'s was called- we now had 4 front row tickets, meaning the three of us could all see it together. Then [TenutoTuo] won as well! Well, we had an excess of tickets, but we all won the Wicked Lotto! It was the best feeling. Turns out, I'd won the best seats in the entire [2000 seat] theatre. Yeah bro. [ClearlyUnfocused] and [TentuoTuo] both won sight restricted seats, so they gave away their three worst tickets to people who hadn't won, seeing as we'd won six seats, and there were only three of us. The people who we gave the tickets to were to excited and grateful; it was such a lovely feeling, knowing that we'd made them so happy.

The show itself was incredible. So, so incredible. I'd seen it four times before, but seeing it from the front row was completely different. You could see all the details on the costumes, and the intricate facial expressions, and the amazing sets. Sometimes cast members even came to the front of the stage and looked you right in the eye. Speaking of which, oh dear. It is a known fact that people performing on that stage can only see the front row of the audience. Well, that's unfortunate. I swear they looked at me at the worst of times. Actually, I ended up watching the ensemble most of the time, because, well, I never get to see what they really look like. Wow. What a talented bunch. Of course, if DH was on stage, my eyes automatically looked at him instead. Yeah, I'm a fangirl, but damn, that guy is just so darn talented. His acting is just so good, I really think I was paying more attention yesterday because of that than fangirly rubbish. All the leads are beyond amazing. They all have the best voices, and put so, so, so much emotion into their acting. Even the ensemble put in so much extra effort. I've really never seen a cast like this (and I have seen many musicals, and many casts). They are the best.

Wicked is closing in my city in 2 days, so I'm  really, really glad that I got to see it one last time. I know I'll see it again someday. Maybe on Broadway, or West End. Maybe when another Australian tour comes around in 10 years or so. I don't know. But, I do know that yesterday was my last chance at seeing that cast. The cast who, in my opinion, are the best there ever has been, or will be. I think I'll miss seeing the Wicked  signs everywhere. No, I know I'll miss it. I'd always smile when I saw them. And I'll miss walking past the lyric theatre and peeking in at the cast list, just to see who was on. I'll miss hearing the intermission bell chiming (well, it's more of a nasally "get yo ass back in da seat" sound) as I walk back from my Young Conservatorium rehearsal to the bus stop.

Anyway, yesterday was amazing. Amazing show. Amazing friends. Amazing feeling. Amazing experience. Today, I return to my holiday that isn't a holiday. Assignments, boredom, bad television, procrastination, depression, solitude. That sums them up. I really should work on something, but my brain still hasn't turned itself on. I will probably have another break from assignmenting today, so I don't [metaphorically] kill myself with depression.

Despite the lamity of my holidays, I'm so glad that I'll have something good to remember them by. As much as I'll miss Wicked, I now feel like I have a little more closure with it. I'll still be like "Waaaah. Must. See. Again. Like. Die. Lolz. No. Gah. Wiiiicked!" but I achieved my goal; I saw it 5 times, and I won the lotto at least once. And no assignments or homework or school depressing rubbish can take that away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment