Tuesday 15 March 2011

It's Hip to be Hispanic

Really, it is. I can't explain it, but ever since around September last year, I've had an obsession with Spain. And Spanish people. And Spanish culture. And Spanish music. And Spanish cities. And Spanish food. And Spanish language. And Spanish men. And, by extension, South America and Latin America.
I'll admit, I've even watched a bucketload of Spanish news broadcasts, even though I don't speak a word of the language, and therefore didn't know what was being talked about most of the time. They mentioned my city once, and even though it was because of a natural disaster we were experiencing, I was still like "ZOMG! Spain gives their love and news time to [demisemiquavergirl'scity]!"
To prove that I'm crazily obsessed, I'm thinking of studying Spanish as a major at university, despite having no prior knowledge of the language. I keep saying that I'll teach it to myself, but as we all know, I can be very lazy and forgetful. Anyways, luckily, there is actually a beginner's strand for the major I'm looking at (where the only prerequisite is that you haven't studied the language before. Whoot.) which is extremely lucky.
So, why Spain? Okay, this is a little bit of an awkward thing to answer. Like most things, it started with a guy. Let me rephrase this, it started with a cartoon character. Before your brain goes into overload with judgement and scorn, you must note that I am referring to this cartoon character:

"I mean, who would give away their shirt, in the Arctic?"

Yeah, okay, so it's still pathetic that I turned into a Spanish fangirl because of a cartoon, but hear me out.
Every year, I seem to go through a period of a few weeks (sometimes multiple times in the year), when I get really sick and have to take half-a whole week off school. One of these times was late August last year. I was stuck at home, with nothing to do, but study for exams, which, let's face it, is the last thing you want to do when you feel like squashed crudbiscuits. So, instead, I lay on the couch and watched TV. On this particular day, there was absolutely nothing to my liking on, so I had a look at the programs that my sister had recorded on our DVD recorder. I swear, there were about 4 pages (with around 4-6 videos per page) of clips that just said "Total Drama, Total Drama, Total Drama, Total Drama". Bored and sick, I thought to myself "What's the harm in watching this? If she's recorded that many episodes of this show, it can't be that bad." A few days later, I was a bigger fan of the show than her.
In case you're wondering, Total Drama Island is a Canadian cartoon, that is a spoof of Survivor. The premise of the show is that a bunch of teenage stereotypes are thrown together in a crappy summercamp, and are forced to do whacky challenges. When you write about it, it sounds so lame, but really, it is the funniest thing ever. Now, usually sequels are in no way as good as the original (for example, Love Never Dies- Andrew Lloyd Webber's atrocious sequel to The Phantom of the Opera. I fully intend to rant about how full of fail this is later), and, I guess, Total Drama Action, the second season was. But, the third season, Total Drama World Tour was utter AMAZEBALLS. This was the season that I sat watching on one of my sick days last August. Despite coming in halfway through the season, I found it so incredibly hilarious, and found myself laughing until it hurt on so many occasions.
I'm going to say this up front: I am a HUGE shipper. So, as soon as I saw the belligerent sexual tension between fellow series antagonists Heather and Alejandro, I told myself that I wanted them to be together forever. What I didn't realise, until a few days later, was that in fact, I was a complete and utter Alejandro fangirl. Up until that moment in my life, I'd never really gone fangirl over a character before. I guess you could say that opened up the floodgates, because I have been soo fangirl over many characters ever since.
It also made me realise something: I am really attracted to Hispanic/Latin men. As I said, all the characters in TD are stereotypes e.g. dumb blonde, queen bee, delinquent. Alejandro's specific stereotype was the Latin Lover, and man, does he fulfil it. So, he uses his charms to manipulate everyone, who cares? After all, evil is sexy.
Now, I'm veering off track. Anyway, my fangirlness made me come to a realisation of what I was attracted to. Prior to this, I'd never really been attracted to guys (I most certainly was not attracted to women, if that's what you were thinking). It's not that I'd never seen any hot guys in my life, I just hadn't ever been 'wowed' completely by anyone, or had a specific type of male that I found myself attracted to.
At a good friend's birthday party, I started talking to fellow Al-fangirl [clearlyunfocused] about going to Spain to "see the sights", and by sights, we meant men.It was at that moment that I realised something: I really didn't know much about Spain. So, I went researching. Turns out, the country is more than just a whole heap of pretty faces. Spanish/Latin culture is AMAZING, and I fully intend to immerse myself in it someday. There is something about it that is so thrillingly different from my own. Slightly dangerous, yet beautiful and comforting.
Here's hoping that at some stage in the future, [demisemiquavergirl] will be blogging to you with a hot Hispanic lover on her arm and a nice ruby (greater than diamonds since billions of years ago) ring on my finger...
Oh! I was going to end my post just there, but I remembered two things:
1. I need to marry a Latin/Hispanic guy, because I really want to give my [sons] cool names like Ricardo, or Jose, or Roberto or Fernando. If I have little white boys, I will look like a complete bogan giving them such culturally inaccurate names.
2. I have become so much of a Latin fangirl, that I even go crazy over Fez from That 70s Show. Really, I'm not sure if I think he's hot because he's the funniest character on the show, or I think he's the funniest character on the show because he's hot. And his actor is from Venezuela. Yummo.
Okay, I'm finished now. Excuse me while I just have a fangirl moment to myself.
Me encanta España, por lo tanto!

1 comment: