Friday 18 March 2011

The Innocent Kid Has Faith In Schoolies

A paradox of teenage emotion and hormones, schoolies represents a rite of passage for most young adults, and is an essential way to celebrate the ending of school.
Yeah, I don't know, I just made that up on the spot. Actually, I'm not even sure if that makes sense, but it was a good enough opener for this post. I really should have said "ZOMG SCHOOLIES, HOES!" because, that totally sounds more intelligent.
For those of you who live under a rock (or on a different continent. I know that only 4 people read my blog, but hey, maybe it will actually become popular one day), schoolies is the week that follows the commencement of Grade 12 in Australia, every year. It is usually a time where underage teens go out and get smashed, get high, and get knocked up. But hey, they get to go to the beach and par-tay all night long.
Personally, I think the repercussions of something like that are too great, so I won't be spending my week as such. Instead, my friends and I plan to hire out [ClearlyUnfocused]'s relative's holiday house for the week and indulge in some good, old fashioned fun.
Okay, the whole week may not be entirely wholesome, but compared to 99% Australian teenagers, the things we get up to on this week are going to look like... Erm. A single demisemiquaver, in contrast to a symphony.
But, that's what is making me look forward to schoolies week so much. I know that I'm just going to have a carefree, fun-filled week with some of the most amazing people. I'm not going to have to worry about waking up pregnant, or raped, or mauled.
Oh, it's so exciting. We've already planned silly little things, like staying up on the first and last night. Being on the beach for sunset and sunrise. Taking group shots on the beach.Wearing our old school blazers to a formal restaurant. Having a pizza night. Making [AnonymousAlbino] shout us dinner one night. Having a movie night, consisting of all the films that we haven't been allowed to watch, or have just missed out on, even though many of them are lame. Maybe even having a paintball fight in old school uniforms.
It's these little (and big) things that I know I will always cherish. There have already been moments like these, and I know that I will never forget them. I really have been incredibly lucky to meet such amazing people in high school, and I'm really looking forward to celebrating the start of my adult life with them. Most people run away and ditch their high school friends (even though they say "Waaaah. Be in my lyf 4eva babeee. I wills mizz yhuu so muchhh. Friendz alwyz." Sorry, I can't help but impersonate teenage girls). Anyway, I really don't want to lose mine. Even if I don't talk to them for a few months at a time (which would suck, but it's not impossible), I can still imagine meeting up with them, and having a fun time, like I do now. It's weird, but I can picture myself knowing many of these people for my whole life.
I don't know what's going to happen after schoolies. Depending on if we get a good enough OP, a few of us will probably go off to the same University, and study different things. Maybe some people will take a gap year. Maybe some will be awesome and get a good job straight away. Maybe some will get married fast and go off with their little families.
There is no way I can predict what is to come; all I know is that there is no other group of people I would want to start my adult life with. So, cheers guys, I look forward to spending the rest of the year with you, and I can't to see what crazy things we get up to on schoolies.

3 comments:

  1. I am loving our schoolies plans <3 As I said in maths, I've even dreamed about it (NOT a sex dream. Seriously guys).
    Aww. Yeah, I hope we do keep in contact. I know NOBODY from primary school these days other than Lainey. I know of them, but we rarely talk, despite how we did the whole "we MUST keep in contact" thing =/
    But I guess it'll be easier this time around. We'll be more free to meet up after uni and all.
    And I dunno why, but I really do believe we will keep in contact. Thankfully. We will be an awesome group of adults. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will definitely keep in contact, I would die if I lost you guys. Totes need you all to help get through uni <3
    Cannot wait till Schoolies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I lived in Adelaide I got tons of "we HAVE to keep in contact"... Most contact I've had with them is finding them on facebook and a brief 'catchup' message and that's it...

    Our schoolies plans are sounding so good!!! :D I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

    I am sure we will keep in contact :) For reals !

    ReplyDelete