Saturday 16 April 2011

The Epic Adventure

Today was epic. Like, really epic. Looking back on it, I can't even believe how epic it was.

So, I'm in the school's Formal Committee. This isn't really much of an achievement, seeing as there are about three people in the grade who can be bothere to organise anything for the formal, and the committee is made up of six. One of the main things that enticed me to join the formal committee was the fact that I'd have a say in choosing the venue. I love venues. That's a bit of an odd statement to make, but I really do. Whenever I go to a new theatre, I print out a seating plan and I analyse it. Actually, one day I dream of building the perfect theatre, that has just the right combination of stalls, boxes and balconies. And of course, one that has versitile and beautiful functions venues. It's a bit of a crazy dream, but oh well.

Today was the designated venue-looking day. Only [ClearlyUnfocused] and [AnonymousChick] joined me in this search, but that was okay, because we made an awesome formal team. Firstly, we went to look at the Sofitel Hotel. This was the easiest venue to access, because it was right next to the train station where we were meeting. My reaction to this place was: WOW. Just wow. I wasn't particularly taken by the idea of having the formal at a hotel, but this place was beautiful. The room was a great size, and very versitile, with lovely lighting. The hall for the pre-dinner drinks was pretty amazing, with beautiful views of gardens and the city. And the decor of the place was very modern, but elegant and refined at the same time. At this stage, I would say there is a good chance that our formal will end up being held there.

"Alright," you say "that sounds normal. They looked at venues and thought about how well they would suit their formal. The end, all happy etcetera." HAHAHAHNO. Next, we decided to head over to the Rugby Club. Walking there was... long. Thanks to my brilliant map reading skills, we walked the wrong way up one of a whole two sreets we had to walk along, and had to turn around. When we finally found the area where the RC was meant to be, the venue itself was nowhere in sight. We walked all around, but just could not find it. Eventually we asked a cleaner for directions, and she pointed us to the building we had just walked past that had the name written on it in large letters. Turns out, the Rugby Club was ugly as anything (no supprises there) and was being renovated, so there was no chance of us going inside and looking at it anyway. I don't think there was any love lost over it; we were only looking at it at the insistence of our teachers.

Thus, the Rugby Club was ruled out as an option. I took out my map again, and decided that we should head to the Marriott next. The only problem was, it was a lot further away than anyone had anticipated. Luckily, there was an automated cab calling thing right where we were standing, so we used that to get a cab to pick us up. Holy faaaaaaaaaaakir, cabs cost a lot! Eight dollars just for a few minutes in that stupid thing. It was crazy. But, we made it to the Marriott. Firstly, we ended up in some back entrance, which only had the concierge desk. So, we had to go and find where the front was. When we got there, we found out that all their venues were being used, so we couldn't look at any. Great. We had come all that way for nothing. No-one wante to go to the Marriott, because the previous seniors had held their formal there, but, not being able to look around was still annoying.

And there we were, standing outside the Marriott. We went and found a bus stop on the other side of the street, only to just miss the bus that we had to catch (we'd decided to head over to Riverlife next). The next bus was not coming for another twenty mintues. Lovely. So, [AnonymousChick] was very proactive, and decided to call a can company, so we could go directly to the next place. Too bad we didn't know the exact address of where we were. As [AnonymousChick] and the rest of us stumbled to discover our location, the operator decided to abuse her for not knowing our location, and hang up. So, we went back to the Marriott and called a different cab company. This one had friendly operating staff, and got a cab out to us very quickly. The driver, however, was terrible.

For some reason, Riverlife's exact street was not marked on the map I had. So, we asked our driver to take us to the approximate street and suburb. Baaaaaaad idea. Firstly, the driver was Indian and did not speak English properly. We couldn't really understand him, and he didn't really undertsand us. It wasn't a good combination. We split the fare, and ended up being dropped off on this random street that was apparently close to the venue- not that the driver would have known. As he drove off, all three of us realised that we had absolutely no idea where we were; we were lost and stranded, with no way of finding out where to go. Hoping to find someone who could give us directions, we walked into a McDonalds' that was just down the street. [AnonymousChick] pretended to be a tourist, and showed the staff my map, asking for directions. Strangely, they knew exactly where to lead us: "... and then you go DOOOOOOOOWN!"

Apparently if you turned down any street on the left, it would take you to some cliffs, and the venue was along there. Yeah, every street but the one that we first took, which was a dead end. We were screaming and laughing like maniacs. I feel sorry for whoever lived in that street. Really sorry. Anyways, we went down the next street on the left, and it actually led us to where we wanted to go. I seriously could have cried with relief. Too bad there was another obsatcle we had to face before getting to the cliffs: a major road. Gosh, nothing came easily today. There was just relentless traffic for ages. Eventually, [ClearlyUnfocused] and I dashed across, but [AnonymousChick] was left stranded on the other side. She ran soon after us, and I really don't know how she avoided being hit by cars. She came very close to becoming roadkill.

After getting out bearings, we went "DOOOOOWN" the steps along the cliff, and walked along the edge of the river for what seemed like ages. Finally, we came to a sign that said "Riverlife: 580m". Walking that distance felt so mcuh longer, given my lack of fittness, and the amount that I had already walked today, but it was so good to know that we were heading in the right direction. The venue itself wasn't very exciting. It was justa deck with a marquee. I mean, the views were pretty amazing, but the space was fairly boring. I wouldn't mind having my formal there, but it certainly didn't thrill me.

I took some pictures, and we decided to head to my city's cultural centre, where [ClearlyUnfocused] and I were going to catch a bus to the Powerhouse, and [AnonymousChick] was going to meet a friend, and therefore head home. Being on the river, we could see where this was, and resolved to walk there. The walk was going to be long, but simply knowing where we were seemed to be a blessing. After walking a fair distance along the cliffs [AnonymousChick] saw a cab, and decided to catch it, telling [ClearlyUnfocused] and I that if we wanted a lift, we better hop in fast. Neither of us were going to deny a free ride, so we hopped in the cab. The driver was very friendly, and actaully took us to where we needed to go, even stopping a little early, so [AnonymousChick] could meet her friend. I could have hugged that driver; he was just a Godsend.

Anyway, we all got out of the taxi, and [ClearlyUnfocused] and I bade [AnonymousChick] goodbye, as she hopped into her friend's car. We'd had a loooong day. But, it wasn't over yet! Seriously hungry from walking and lack of eating, [ClearlyUnfocused] and I stopped to get lunch at Subway. I don't remember the last time I was so happy to eat. I mean, I've come to hate eating recently, but biting into a sub today was divine! After lunch, we headed over to the bus station, and just managed to catch the bus we wanted to. It was chockers, so we had to stand up for the first part of the drive. We were only going from the south side to the north side of the city, but the trip took quite a while. Thanks to [ClearlyUnfocused]'s epic eavesdropping skills, we got off at a stop that was a short walk from the Powerhouse.
Oh, the Powerhouse. This is a venue that I could rant about all day. I'd already been there twice with [ClearlyUnfocused] last year, and we had falled in love with it. How can one describe such a building? It used to literally be an electricity plant, but has since been converted into a venue with a few smaller theatres, spaces for live band performances, and function venues. It is so, so, so, so, so, so beautiful. The outside facade consists of grungy-artistic exposed brick, with the blue-tinted glass entrance. The inside has walls covered in graffiti (purposefully) and gives one the feel of being in a back alley in New York. The tiny overhanging metal walkways just add to this feel, ahhh. And the views are the best in tthe city. It is right next to a few lush green parks, and also overlooks the river. Whenever I go there, I feel so at home. It is just so amazing and atristic. It's as if the building is just overflowing with positive, young energy. I. Love. It. We couldn't actually get into our room today, but we saw part of it from the outisde of the building, and the rooftop terrace attached to it from the inside. If I could choose anywhere to have a formal, I would choose the Powerhouse. It is so different, so modern, so artsy, so stylish, and just so incredible. I plan on going there all the time next year/when I'm out of school.

I think [ClearlyUnfocused] and I lingered around there much longer than we needed to. I mean, neither of us ever wanted to leave. But, we did. When we returned to the bus stop, we saw what we thought was our bus, and absolutely ran for it. Thanks once again to [ClearlyUnfocused]'s eavesdropping skills, we found out that that bus didn't actually go back to the city, but had to do a round, would go there if we caught it from the other side of the street. So, we got off the bus, crossed the street, and waited. 10mins later, the same bus arrives. The driver made a comment about seeing us before in jest, as we got on. As such, we went back to the cultural centre. There, [ClearlyUnfocused] and I parted. I caught another bus home, and she left for the train.

Needless to say, today was completely crazy! Despite everything, I would do it all again. I have been craving excitement and independence in my life, and today, I got it. Now, I must go get ready. I'm going out to dinner in the city with my family tonight. What a wonderful way to end the day!

1 comment:

  1. That made me laugh. It is so hilarious reading about our "lost-on-the-way-to-Riverlife" story. Classic XD

    ReplyDelete